How instead of oil….they struck thermal water….
The exceptionally rich thermal water with its high content of mineralisation has been known since the year 1911, the British-Hungarian company ‘London Budapest ’was drilling for oil but instead of oil found mineral water.
The local population soon discovered the healing properties of the water and in 1936, a wooden pool, some 3 metres wide and 4 metres long was built along with a covered pool with seven baths installed for soaking in the thermal water. .Because of the exceptional mineral content of the thermo-mineral water and the presence of carbon dioxide, it was good to drink and right up to the outbreak of World War II, it was bottled under the name of ‘Međimorsko jodno vrelo Selnica – Sv. Martin na Muri. It was also distributed in bottles of 1.44 litres (1 oka) under the name of ’Mineralno međimursko vrelo Vučkovec’